Pages

Sunday 22 January 2017

Links to the past.

Some eighteen years ago my dad gave me a present of his father's silver watch chain. Looking at it recently, I saw that it had silver hallmarks, on the medallion, the clasps and bar.


Close-ups of the medallion show a walking lion, meaning that it is over 90% silver; an anchor; made in Birmingham; a "b" tells us it was made in 1901 and R·P, that it was made by Robert Pringle and Sons. They were a London company but had a factory in Birmingham. There are some feint scratches on one side, the photograph close up shows it could be E F Rogers, scratched on, probably by Ernest himself.
Grandad and Nan
At the time I asked my dad to write down some things about his dad, Ernest Frederick:


"As far back as I can remember, is about 1916, I was dressed up in a sailor's kit. My dad took photos on a quarter plate camera and made the prints by daylight in a printing frame, then he would fix them in a chemical called hypo. I would often see him in the shed mending our shoes.


Horrie, Sis & Jack

Dad used to work in the docks but I can't remember that. I do remember him working as a tram driver; going off with his big waterproof cape and leggings because his cab was not enclosed and when he was driving, he had no protection from the weather.

West Ham's first Electric tram in 1904. Grandad Ernest in the cab, to the right of the picture.

His route was from the Albert Dock to Chingford Mount. When he was on early turns, I had to take his breakfast to him at the Coach and Horses pub in the mornings about 8 o'clock he would give me a ride in the front of the tram. His tea was in a caddy with a stocking around it, to keep it warm.

He would put Blakeys in them to stop them wearing out so fast, which made them lovely for skating on pavements.

Horrie, showing off his Blakeys at Southend-on-Sea

He was always doing crossword puzzles and once won £90 in the News of the World. I had a new overcoat out of it. At one time I wanted to buy a camera. It was £6 6s. I was going to get it on hire purchase. Being under age I had to ask him to sign my form. He said, 'You don't want to buy it like that, I'll give you the money and you can pay it back to me.' Dad retired about 1935 the year before we got married, then he settled down to doing crosswords and reading law books."

Perhaps Ernest bought his watch chain and watch when he started work on the trams, because he would have needed to know the time.

Nan & Grandad at 66 Chesterton Terrace as I remember them in the 50s